Sunday, May 10, 2015

Homemade "Oreos"

Call me unnatural but I have never been a fan of Oreos. What kind of person even says that? Maybe it was the crunchy cookie. Maybe it was the hard icing...whatever it was I never really loved them. But today...I baked some chocolate sugar cookies and filled them with a thick buttercream and well, let's just say became a fan of my homemade Oreos. The recipe is on my recipe page on here. Apparently not. I am going to add it at the bottom of this post. Amazing Chocolate Sugar Cookies. It was a recipe I messed with and made my own by making some changes to it. Try them, you might like them.
I happen to have some imprint cookie stamps because if I am making a homemade Oreo it needs an imprint...I only imprinted the tops.
Put the filling in a piping bag with about a #4 tip or so.
Piped the bottom cookie.
Oh yes, they are larger than the original. 
 Delicious and the milk with it just hit the spot. Seriously, try them. 

Amazing Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Preheat oven to 350
1 Cup butter softened
1Cup Brown sugar
Mix together and then add:
1 Egg
1&1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. espresso pwd.
In a separate bowl combine:
2 Cups flour
3/4 cup special dark cocoa pwd.
1/2 tsp. salt
Add dry ingredients to wet and slowly start the mixer. Mix until just combined.
Roll out a portion between parchment papers and remove the top paper when the dough is about 1/4 inch thick, cut out your cookies as if they are laid on a tray ready to bake. remove the outside leftover dough and place the parchment with the cut out cookies on a tray and put it into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes for a 1/4" thick cookie or until the center isn't shiny. 

Vanilla Buttercream
1&1/2 cups pwd. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter
Cream together to make a thick buttercream.
When the cookies are cool pipe the room temperature buttercream onto the bottom cookie and top with another cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Baking,

Patti