Sunday, January 17, 2016

Love On The Run Cookies

There is a business in Lincoln called Porridge Papers. They do an event called Love On The Run. He provides old typewriters and paper for people to come 2 day before Valentine's Day to type love notes to people in their lives. Then on Valentine's Day they drive all over Lincoln delivering them. I just learned about this because a young woman who knows that I make cookies asked if I would be willing to make some for the event this year. It sounds like such a fun thing for people to be able to do. I decided to make small envelopes that are light pink and put a little heart on them then write Love On The Run on the bottom. Then I did tiny hearts and decided to make them look like typewriter keys. Pretty happy with how they turned out. 
The envelopes are about 3" x 2" the hearts are about an inch across.

This leads me to storage of cookies. Since I know that my time closer to is limited I made them now, put the in air tight containers each layer separated by parchment paper and put them in the freezer. This works wonderfully but it is very important to remember that you must not open the container until the contents have come to room temperature. I have opened them before and it makes them all wet and the icing gets very messy. If you let them come to room temperature without opening the container there is no problem at all. 
Now I must admit that recently I cleaned out my large freezer in the garage. Always a good thing to do when the weather is below zero...nope not good. Anyway I found a container of cookies I had made for Thanksgiving 2014 (You read that right...) I had completely forgotten them. I took them out of the freezer and after they had come to room temperature I opened the container and they looked as good as the day I did them. They actually didn't even taste that bad or were they stale. But I threw them away anyway because that is a bit old. My point being a couple weeks in the freezer doesn't change the taste or freshness of the cookies at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Baking,

Patti