Saturday, July 30, 2011

It's a Secret - Birthday Cookies -

I can't be in Montana for Dani's wedding or for the Big 80th Birthday Picnic they are having for Dad and Mom. So not only did I decide to do cookies for Dani and Josh, I also agreed to do some for the family picnic as a surprise. Dad and Mom both turn 80 this year and that is a milestone worth celebrating. They have also spent a lot of their lives in travel. So...when I was trying to decide what to do for the birthday cookies I was on a bus traveling on I-80 and a lightbulb went off in my head and I thought "Interstate 80 - 80 years old, lots of travel and a journey together." I designed the cookies right then and there on the bus.
When I got home from the tour I made a cookie cutter the shape that I needed. 
Baked the cookies and added a stick so they really looked like signs. Put them in the freezer to wait for the day I would decorate them. That day was today. When I had tried my sample cookies I struggled the most with making the big numbers consistent so I came up with this idea last night.
I printed out 40 - 8s and 0s from the printer in the size I needed and used parchment paper over them, then made icing for piping and went to town making my numbers all the exact same size. I let those dry overnight and then gently put them all in two separate bowls.
To say I was thrilled is an understatement.
I used the same white piping and outlined the cookies and let that dry for about an hour this morning.
 I had made my blue and red icing yesterday because, in case you didn't know, the color develops with time.
 I flooded the blue area and added the numbers while it was very wet.
p.s. I had the TV on Sponge-Bob Square Pants while I did this, because it is entertaining and he makes me laugh.
 I allowed the blue to dry for about an hour then came in with the red and a #1 tip on the piping bag and did the final part of the cookie.

43 cookies done, drying and waiting to be packaged.
Finished product.
Now for some facts 
{for no reason except I would be so curious, so I inform}
The violet cookies each took about 2 minutes to decorate. 
100 = 200 minutes = approx. 3 hours and 20 minutes
The sunflower cookies each took about 7 minutes to decorate. 
100 = 700 minutes = approx. 11 hours and 40 minutes plus about 1 hour to package.
Each sign cookie took about  4 minutes to decorate. 
43 = 172 minutes = approx. 3 hours plus about 1& 1/2 hours to package. 
Not included in these times is making the dough, cutting out the cookies, baking them, cooling them, making the frosting, coloring it, putting it into the little bottles to use...ANYWAY...all worth the effort and time. 
Congratulations to Dani and Josh and Happy Birthday to my dad and mom {who don't know about this blog so I have no worries that they will see this}

2 comments:

  1. I am speechless with admiration! I just can NOT believe how cute those are! You are amazing. I told Jenny your cookies are by FAR the best decorated ones I have ever seen...your ideas, your neat work, just the whole cookie package. You are the Queen of Cookies. Or would that be the Cween of Cookies? Or the Queen of Quookies?? Whatever...you have outdone yourself once again!
    Can't wait to eat one :) WISH you could be there to eat one with me!
    Raye

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I had no idea we were having an 80th birthday picnic. Not sure how I missed picking up on that one, but it's pretty typical of my life right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Baking,

Patti