Monday, July 4, 2011

I had all my work done...I promise...

Tomorrow I leave for a week to go on tour with Esprit. 
Why, you say, was I decorating cookies? Because I could.
Get used to it. At the times when I should be doing something else,
I relieve stress by doing something I really enjoy {painting, making a project or as today, making cookies} It all started because I was thinking {dangerous} as I was cleaning the mess in the basement because Jayme told 5 of her friends from Colorado that they could crash there Sunday night {with my blessing}. Where was I...oh, yes, thinking. The other day I wasn't doing what I needed to do {laundry} and I was sketching and coloring said sketches with markers. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I began what I like to call the "Summer Treats" series of cookies. It started on paper.
 I just wanted to do toasted marshmallows so bad and that led to a new design on the popsicle which led to...
the lemonade and ultimately my absolute favorite, the soft serve ice cream cone.
 I used a roll of flashing that I got at the hardware store. I cut it into strips that were about 1 and 1/4 inch wide. I folded over a 1/4 in and used the handle of the scissors to smooth it down so that edge isn't sharp. Then I just started to shape it around the shape that I had drawn. It takes some work and measuring but I loved this process. Then I glue the ends together with this glue and put a clothespin on the join and let them dry for awhile. That was the other day. They have been sitting on my counter calling to me since then. I kept saying "No, not right now, I have to get ready for Esprit...well, maybe on the 4th if I have time..."
So now we come to cleaning the basement and thinking...about whether I could make an oatmeal sugar cookie and what that would be like and OH WELL FINE I will. So I finished the basement, then rewarded myself with making Oatmeal Sugar Cookies. I will explain that later.
 "THEY WORK" 
that is what I yelled to Jayme who was sitting right in front of me eating my oatmeal sugar cookie dough like it was candy... {her two favorite cookies in one dough}
 I tell you it was a proud moment.
I will say here that the stick on the marshmallows is the design flaw in all this. It works but isn't the strongest thing and you have to leave it to cool a little on the tray or they break when you remove them. Once cooled, it is very strong. 
 because you need to see unbaked cookies on a tray...
 Baked and decorated. And they tasted really good too. 
I liked the oatmeal ones. 
{regular are still my absolute favorite but...I had to try}




 By the time I got to taking these pictures, I think I was scaring Jayme or making her laugh...
but I had to show- Concept to Design to Finished product.
 Yes, I know, I didn't do the straw down into the lemonade...so...I needed to fix supper.
There they are, my afternoon's accomplishment.

2 comments:

  1. Ash and I were just gushing over these. And I LOVE the fact that you posted about the concept to design process. I LOVE to see how you actualized it from your brain! I will be back to try this oatmeal dough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tutorial all in itself. What a great job! Keep it up. This is becoming my favorite blog. :) I might have to make it my homepage!
    Love you, Raye

    ReplyDelete

Happy Baking,

Patti