Saturday, July 18, 2015

Minions, Minions, Minions

They are taking over my dining room! A friend of Bobbi's asked if I would make 40 cookies and a big cake for a Minion themed birthday party for her son. So of course I said yes. 
I used a rocket cutter for the Minions and just cut out the middle booster at the bottom. 
Also you probably see my hexagon shape in there! Oh that Crate & Barrel cutter!! 
I drew on where I wanted the overalls then filled in the yellow. 
Filled in the overalls after the yellow had set and also added arms. Not sure if you can see it in this picture but the top two on the right have the arms added.
Put on straps and buttons
At this point I got so into decorating that I forgot to take pictures of my steps... so on to the Evil Minions...for these i used the rocket with the middle booster cut out and then added part of a heart, flower and small hand to make the hair on them. Notice I forgot to cut out the middle booster on that bottom left cookie...awkward...I cut it out.
I put some mouths on and let them dry for awhile.
I added grey circles and black on the sides to look like their goggles then I filled the grey circles with white and made the eyes. Put another grey circle on top of the first one for dimension then painted them silver with lustre dust. I also made some of those hexagons into blocks to spell out the birthday boy's name in Minion colors, of course!
I also made google cookies with a glassed cutter that I have.



Three speech bubble cookies...



You get the idea...Minions...Evil Minions...and just when you thought it was over there was the cake.
I baked three 6" rounds, 4 cupcakes, and one 6' bowl to create this shape. Initally when I baked it I thought I would stack them up so it looked like he was sitting up but I had forgotten about arms! So desperation is mother of invention in cake making and I am actually very happy that I decided to lay him down. By trimming off a bit the back to lay him flat I ended up with the rounded bottom and two arms. The legs and feet are cupcakes. 
Made a pattern for his overalls. I don't work with fondant and why I decided to try it when I had no time to make a mistake is beyond me but I wanted the overalls to look real! 
So icing between all the layers then a crumb coat. A litttle thicker than your average crumb coat but ...
I thought it was necessary to cover all the joins. At this point I thought it looked like a fat cob of corn...
I put on a thicker coat of icing and then when it was slightly dryer I used the Viva towel method to get it smooth.
So roll out denim blue fondant which was made by mixing a dark blue, a light blue, white and a tiny bit of black. I rolled a tool along the seams to make it look stitched.
I also did it in three pieces because I wanted the pockets to look real. 
Now it looks like a Nebraska farmer cob of corn...
The hands are some cakeballs that I formed and dipped into black coating. I also used that coating on the cupcake halves that are the feet. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to try and cover the with fondant. 
I added straps and had made some buttons out of fondant the day before so I glued them on using corn syrup.
The hair was made by piping the leftover candy coating in one inch strips and then when they were hard I put them into the icing. Added a pocket to the overall front.
I made a fondant strap for the glasses then put corn syrup on it so the glasses and eyes would glue to it. I had made them the night before out of gumpaste and fondant.
Made the symbol for the pocket and Done...take a picture from all angles because you can't figure out what it needs...
OHHHH... the denim looked to one dimensional so I added white lustre dust to them and YES that was what it needed.
So, cake accomplished. Very pleased with all my Minions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Baking,

Patti