Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spain/Spain's Flag Cookies

Bryan and I are going to Spain with a group of 30 people in June. We are going to work at Springs of Life Camp in Malaga, Spain. I am excited. The Missions Committee is having a bake sale on April 6 to help raise money for that trip. I decided to make some cookies in the shape of Spain, decorated like the flag of Spain. As usual I drew out the design and then realized I had no cookie cutter that would work for the shape so I got out my trusty cookie cutter metal and created one around the drawing I had done. Always fun and always worth the work! 
Very happy with the result. Next I mixed up some icing with color flow powder instead of meriingue powder because when I make a "candy" decoration to place on a cookie it just works much better. I colored my black outline piping and piped all the black lines in the little emblem that goes in the yellow part of the flag. Then I made flood consistency out of red, yellow and light blue and filled in all the parts.
Also a tiny bit of pink since Spain has this cute little pink dragon/lion looking thing on the light blue square.
After the black was dry (I really didn't need to wait but I ran out of time the night before) I piped in the colors and designs. 
I wasn't super concerned about having each little detail perfect. I just wanted to give the general idea. 
But I actually think they will look amazing on the cookies. They measure about 1&3/4 inches square. Amazingly enough, once dry they are very sturdy and able to be picked up easily. I just love making decorations ahead that make the cookies look super detailed!
Now on to the cookies...
The cutter worked so well! 
Today was decorating day so I had taken the cookies out of the freezer last night to thaw.
First I did the red parts.
Then the yellow after the red had dried for about 30 minutes or so.
Then the yellow and while it was still very wet I placed one of my pre-made emblems on with an angle tweezers. Held very gently they won't break.
And just like that! Finished product.
I made 15 but actually making the emblem ahead made these about a 3 minutes per cookie decorating time. Not bad for a very detailed looking cookie.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Baking,

Patti